The World Ending in a Monochromatic RLApocalypse

hoggytime

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Previous discussion on SSP Ottawa
giphy.gif

20240202_130018.jpg

I think this building used to be sock brown. This string of buildings on Lees used to be really run down and their addresses synonymous with major crime scenes in the Sun. In particular 180 lees.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear the area is improving, but I prefer the original 'sock brown' of the neighbouring tower. This trend of white/gray washing all the old towers is making the city even gloomier than it already was, in my opinion. So sterile...so cold.

I'm glad to hear the area is improving, but I prefer the original 'sock brown' of the neighbouring tower. This trend of white/gray washing all the old towers is making the city even gloomier than it already was, in my opinion. So sterile...so cold.
For sure. Great to hear the area is improving, but yeah, the trend of taking inoffensive red, brown and even brutalist concrete towers of the 1970s and turning them into charcwhites is kind of concerning. I cringe every time I see more of these "reclads" taking shape.

if you’re like me and can’t help but notice certain irregularities between developers and the planning department, especially as it relates to green lighting low end design… then here is a link to the ethics commissioners report covering developer influence at the time of committee head Jan Harder’s firing, in 2021 for conflict of interest.

https://pub-ottawa.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?documentid=79905
Funny how the Watson Club thought Jan's perceived (and probably real) conflict of interest was fine, or how it was ok for Cloutier to take extra money for the community from the developer for Herongate, but they think Menard is crook.

Driving by Front/Eardley today and my 8 year old daughter asks 'Daddy, why are those the ugliest buildings I have ever seen in my life?'

It's honestly a very good question, to which I sincerely had no answer 🤣

20240321_172228.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-21 214655.png

Call me crazy, but I think this is 1000x better than living in SootWorld.
Screenshot 2024-03-21 214935.png

We have a lot of these apartment blocks in a park in Ottawa. Some are quite nice, like the ones on Byron at Sherbourne, others like these weren't great. These charwhitifications are making them all terrible.

I thought the ones on Baseline at the Transitway were bad, but these are far worse.

Vanier and Église could eb the absolute worse; previously the buildings were quite nice. Now they look like a fake 1980s Miami film set.

Keep the bricks the natural red and brown hughes. Not only does it look better, but it's better for the brick so it can breath.

The most offensive CharcWhiteification in the city on St. Laurent is already deteriorating, to the surprise of nobody. What's the gameplan here for the landlords of all these painted buildings? Repaint every five years, or let Ottawa look like Chisinau?

20240510_091356.jpg

20240510_091402.jpg

20240510_091407.jpg

Almost like painting brick is a bad idea. Do they do this instead of repointing or something? That's the case when they stucco the brick, I'm sure.

Back