The East Flats | ?m | 25-45s | Claridge | EVOQ

Pics from yesterday
20240507_150553.jpg
20240507_150104.jpg
20240507_145907.jpg
20240507_145005.jpg
20240507_144412.jpg

Here's what I'm scared of: On two facades they have done the silver brick on the top 12 floors, leaving the bottom 12 floors down to the podium.

I think they are going to Charc the bottom half of the tower for a another wild and wacky zany effect like Royale. I really hope not, but I can visualize it so easily now.

Here's what I'm scared of: On two facades they have done the silver brick on the top 12 floors, leaving the bottom 12 floors down to the podium.

I think they are going to Charc the bottom half of the tower for a another wild and wacky zany effect like Royale. I really hope not, but I can visualize it so easily now.
Wasn't the choice of colours dictated by the NCC for that phase? Does that still apply?

Wasn't the choice of colours dictated by the NCC for that phase? Does that still apply?
NCC dictated everything when they had the competition in early 2000s, including built form and colours (they had a list of acceptable materials and colours). Of the three competitors, two dropped out (including the winner Minto) because working with the NCC was impossible due to the lack of flexibility, amongst other things.

The first two phases (yellow brick building + blue glass tower) match exactly the original concept. The third phase (metal clad building near the aqueduct) gained some height over the original concept, maybe new materials. This fourth phase and beyond are not dictated by the NCC; the NCC does give final approval (so higher quality required over other Claridge projects no doubt), but the developer isn't stuck in a box like they were with that initial competition.

NCC dictated everything when they had the competition in early 2000s, including built form and colours (they had a list of acceptable materials and colours). Of the three competitors, two dropped out (including the winner Minto) because working with the NCC was impossible due to the lack of flexibility, amongst other things.

The first two phases (yellow brick building + blue glass tower) match exactly the original concept. The third phase (metal clad building near the aqueduct) gained some height over the original concept, maybe new materials. This fourth phase and beyond are not dictated by the NCC; the NCC does give final approval (so higher quality required over other Claridge projects no doubt), but the developer isn't stuck in a box like they were with that initial competition.
This just reinforces my conviction that they'll change the brick for the bottom 12 floors. They just can't help themselves.

Thanks for the explanation. I hadn't followed the thread on this one. So far I think it blends well with the existing buildings, but lots of time for that to change.

Harley on the case. Less than an hour after Pat's post, you got us a picture! This one's a breath of fresh air after years of Claridge+NEUF consistent random charcoal, beige and metal cladding.

Back