News   Nov 14, 2019
 2K     0 

Lady Grey Wall and Escarpment Project | NCC

hoggytime

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Project Website

The NCC is repairing the Lady Grey Drive retaining wall to protect the structural integrity of Lady Grey Drive. The project started in summer 2023 and is scheduled to be completed in summer 2025.

Lady Grey Drive was built by the Ottawa Improvement Commission in 1911-13, reaches 10 meters at its highest point and runs along 580 m of the Ottawa River from the National Gallery of Canada to Sussex Drive. Today, the drive is accessible from an entrance on Sussex Drive near the Macdonald-Cartier Bridge and serves as an access to buildings fronting on Sussex Drive and to the Ottawa Rowing Club.

The Lady Grey Drive wall also supports PSPC’s Energy Services Acquisition Program heating and cooling pipes. This system offers district energy services to many federal buildings in the National Capital Region.

The upcoming redesign and activation of Lady Grey Drive will play a key role in supporting the NCC’s mandate to animate the waterways and to enhance the pathway systems as per the corporate priorities. The future site redevelopment project will focus on four primary objectives:
  • Enhance site access and connectivity
  • Promote active mobility
  • Open new view and vistas on the Ottawa River, Kìwekì Point and Parliament Hill
  • Activate and animate the shoreline.

This is a project that has kind of flow under the radar. I am extremely excited to have this new public waterfront space in the core of the city!

DJI_0506-HDR.jpg

Wish there was more public information about what the final version of it will look like. Looks like they are pulling the wall back behind the rowing club signifigantly. Very interesting!

Are there any renders? It feels like they are just rebuilding the old road that was used as a parking lot for Mint/Gallery employees, maybe with some stairs and lookout addition above the Rowing Club.

Promote active mobility? Activate shoreline? Improve connectivity? Yeah I don't think any of that is happening here.

Would've been nice if it continued as a cliffside path around Kiweki point to the locks.

Are there any renders? It feels like they are just rebuilding the old road that was used as a parking lot for Mint/Gallery employees, maybe with some stairs and lookout addition above the Rowing Club.

Promote active mobility? Activate shoreline? Improve connectivity? Yeah I don't think any of that is happening here.

Would've been nice if it continued as a cliffside path around Kiweki point to the locks.

Well do I ever have some good news for you!

The complete reconstruction of Lady Grey Drive is a project component of a multi-use promenade plan (Rideau to Rideau) that will connect the Rideau Canal Locks, Rideau Falls and existing public spaces overlooking the Ottawa River.

I suspect the connection will be made here, which would be very easy to do and would really be a gamechanger for the waterfront

View attachment 582486

That is correct, it appears along there on the map of the NCC's ideal path network!

That is correct, it appears along there on the map of the NCC's ideal path network!

Great find! What an awesome little project this is!

Hope the NCC can one day purchase the rowing club and open it to the public.

Back