News   Feb 05, 2024
 855     0 
News   Jan 27, 2020
 1.8K     0 
News   Nov 14, 2019
 2K     0 

Ottawa Confederation Line LRT (City of Ottawa, U/C)

In the peanut gallery where no one with a clue how it all works criticizes work that they aren't qualified to pass judgement on?

And no doubt you're one of the well-qualified "experts" that has produced these massive cost overruns.

Haha...and P.S. isn't this the guy who shrieks "PERSONAL ATTACK!!!!!!!!!" at the mildest criticism of anything he says?

edit: I might add that it was the "peanut gallery" that proposed the change in Ottawa that we're all praising while the "experts" wanted the panned cross-country alignment.

Last edited:
Why only 2 of the stations? That seems weird. And really, only $80M/km? I guess when you factor in all the admin and engineering costs into it it does skew it a little bit.

EDIT: I did the math on it. I took each of the breakdown items (except for the tunnel itself) and divided it by 12.5 (the length of the line) to get the per km number, and then multiplied it by 2.4 (the length of the tunnel). The all-in cost is $350 million per km. That's including: the tunnel, the stations, the storage facility, the track work, the LRT systems (including the trains, that's the biggest non-tunnel expense right there), the civil works, and the city costs (property procurement, planning, risk, etc).
I can't seem to get to $350m/km. Did you use $1718m in capital costs, excluding the $397m in design, management, and risk? Also, 12.7km total length and 2.5km tunnel length are more reflective of the revised design.

$397m + $1718m - $493m = $1622m (non-tunnel costs)
$1622m / 12.7 km = $127.7m / km (non-tunnel costs per km)
$493m / 2.5 km = $197.2m / km (tunnel-only costs per km)
$127.7m + $197.2m = $324.9m (tunnel cost per km)

Use the same above with 12.5 and 2.4 km only gets me to $335m/km though.

And no doubt you're one of the well-qualified "experts" that has produced these massive cost overruns.
...uh ... no ... why would you think that?

Your original comment wasn't clear ... you said that shows where the problems lie. What do you mean by "that"?

Haha...and P.S. isn't this the guy who shrieks "PERSONAL ATTACK!!!!!!!!!" at the mildest criticism of anything he says?
??? I don't see how this relates to anything in this thread. What are you talking about?

edit: I might add that it was the "peanut gallery" that proposed the change in Ottawa that we're all praising while the "experts" wanted the panned cross-country alignment.
??? I thought the changes in Ottawa came from public meetings and professional consultants? It came from the Interweb?

I might add that it was the "peanut gallery" that proposed the change in Ottawa that we're all praising while the "experts" wanted the panned cross-country alignment.
So it was random third-party comments, and not the additional geotechnical investigation and value engineering that came up with the revised design?

The cross-country alignment used more conservative assumptions that could have as easily been revised as switching to the Queen St alignment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like more of the peanut-gallery praise has been for shallower stations and decreased construction cost, while most of the peanut-gallery concerns has been about station spacing and increased walking distances.

Exactly. And these per km costs are a little high by comparison to some other recent projects, likely because of the shortness of the tunnel. A longer tunnel (ahem, Eglinton) should be able to produce significant economies of scale.

The Ottawa numbers do not appear to include inflation either. There were comments about the $2.1B number being 2009 dollars and the value engineering being necessary because construction wouldn't start until 2013.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa found themselves $500M over budget in 2017 due to inflation during construction if they tender multiple independent contracts.

TTC numbers for Spadina and Eglinton do include inflation to end of project.; adjusted both for interest earned on bonds (essentially 3% at this time and inflation of construction costs).

Which shows where the problem lies.

The Value Engineering which was applauded earlier in this thread for Ottawa tends to cost the TTC tens of millions for a line like Spadina.

We can't applaud things like value engineering saving on construction costs while simultaneously complaining about the cost of engineering.

The Ottawa numbers do not appear to include inflation either. There were comments about the $2.1B number being 2009 dollars and the value engineering being necessary because construction wouldn't start until 2013.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa found themselves $500M over budget in 2017 due to inflation during construction if they tender multiple independent contracts.

TTC numbers for Spadina and Eglinton do include inflation to end of project.; adjusted both for interest earned on bonds (essentially 3% at this time and inflation of construction costs).

The new $2.115 billion is in "construction dollars" with the new 2009 dollar price being $1.74 billion. Would construction dollars include inflation etc? They are going to do a DBFM fixed price contract, so the City's contingency is way lower than for the previous plan.

??? I don't see how this relates to anything in this thread. What are you talking about?

In the peanut gallery where no one with a clue how it all works criticizes work that they aren't qualified to pass judgement on?

??? I thought the changes in Ottawa came from public meetings and professional consultants? It came from the Interweb?

It came from a city councillor based on citizen comments. That certainly fits your definition of the peanut gallery. The engineers proposed the cross-country alignment. The peanut gallery questioned them and suggested a different alignment.

It would not cost tens of millions of dollars to "discover" that an elevated alignment might be cheaper than an underground alignment for the Spadina line.

Ah, but that's the beauty of a properly-designed fixed-price contract.

It came from a city councillor based on citizen comments.
That would be a public meeting - that's what I mentioned.

That certainly fits your definition of the peanut gallery.
No ... that would be the interweb.

The engineers proposed the cross-country alignment.
Really? Normally that's planners ... who was the engineer? Should be a sealed document somewhere.

It would not cost tens of millions of dollars to "discover" that an elevated alignment might be cheaper than an underground alignment for the Spadina line.
Does it matter if it would be cheaper? Both the past and current administrations have made it clear they have no interest in building els ... not that there is much alignment that it would actually work on ... other than perhaps the stretch from Steeles to north of 407.

The new $2.115 billion is in "construction dollars" with the new 2009 dollar price being $1.74 billion. Would construction dollars include inflation etc? They are going to do a DBFM fixed price contract, so the City's contingency is way lower than for the previous plan.

Normally I would expect construction dollars to include inflation BUT they indicated their value engineering would recover a large part of inflation between the time of announcement (2009) and construction start (2013). If they took the time to carefully analyse actual construction cost escalation as contracts are awarded; why wouldn't they include that bit of inflation before contracts were tendered?

I obviously don't have the details on exactly what was done; so I anticipate the worst and that cost escalation during construction has not been considered.

Wow...here's an interesting nugget from the report:
Trains will operate in service at a maximum speed of 100 km/hr.

This is interesting too:
It is currently envisaged that the OLRT system will provide 3:15 minute service (headway)
during peak hours. That frequency will gradually increase over time to become two (2) minute
service by 2031.

These travel times are also pretty impressive:
Based on the current modeling of system operation it is anticipated that the train travel time from
Blair Station to Tunney’s Pasture Station will be approximately twenty-four (24) minutes. The
time from Blair Station to Rideau Station will be less than sixteen (16) minutes and Tunney’s
Pasture Station to Rideau Station will be just over eight (8) minutes.

The stations also look quite beautiful.

A number of the "value-engineering changes" that have occurred in the last few months (and apparently last few days) are options that were on the table as far back as 2008. The 2008 study documents show the Queen street option with a dip down to Rideau. It's not exactly what we are getting now. The current plan is a hybrid of the original Queen option and the cross-country route. It looks as though it's designed so that the section from the flats can be built cut-and-cover if that works out to be more economical. The section from Metcalfe almost certainly has to be a bored tunnel, since it passes under several large buildings, the canal and a few trunk sewers, not to mention that one end of Rideau station now sits about 75 feet below the conference centre.

The option for Campus on the surface with the portal north of that was also in the original options. And so was putting the rail platforms at Blair on the elevated level, which was discarded as cheaper but possibly leading to bus congestion. I guess they decided to gamble, but it looks like the bus platform will be about 750 feel long, so it should be OK. This is mostly a case of climbing down from a lot of expensive decisions that were reasonable when some operationial factors were taking precedence over cost.

A page or so back there was some speculation about converting this to another technology since it will be completely grade separated. I don't think that is going to happen. The updates that came out in the last few months made it clear that, while the east-west line will be completely separated from cars, the planners are allowing for pedestrian/cylce crossings in a few places such as LeBreton Flats or the Parkway / Byron alignments. The flexibility of light rail allows for such solutions which can lessen the impact on the area and save a lot of money in the process.

While converting the O-Train to LRT seems to be many years off in the future, the concept is still to interline it through the tunnel. At the south end, it would run through Riverside South at grade on or beside the street.

Last edited:

That would be correct: he clearly can't handle even the slightest punch whatsoever. Starts claiming victimhood, demanding apologies, and clamouring for others to do his research for him. Now he's thrown a small hissy fit over the meaning of the word "that".

Speaks volumes about him.

Regarding the LRT, if anyone can finally get this done for Ottawa, it's Jim Watson. Barring a sudden cancellation of funds from a Hudak government, I fully expect this to get built.

This is definitely a positive change. Oh how I wish this kind of value engineering could be done on the TTC's projects. They could've knocked hundreds of millions, if not billions, off the Spadina and Sheppard projects.
Let's get back to this ... there seems to be an assumption that there is no value engineering on the Spadina extension, and that the Ottawa system should be applauded for doing value engineering. And yet the Ottawa project seems to be more expensive per kilometre than the Spadina project - and TTC has had at least 11 value engineering workshops on Spadina.

Back