650     0 
News   Jan 27, 2020
 1.7K     0 
News   Nov 14, 2019
 1.9K     0 

Ottawa's Skyline

All Hail Clump Supreme!!!

53772098518_92c7178f49_o.jpg

I like 90 George very much, and East Flats is a very cool 2000's industrial loft project. I don't mind that older blue tower. Everything else is just garbage as far as I'm concerned. We'll have to see how Moxy and Registry turn out.

This view really highlights how the "CBD" is very limited and how small "downtown" really is. If this was another city in Ontario, Multiplexes and towers (big and small) would probably extend south to the 417. All I see are homes and a few plex conversions until Ottawa's Kowloon wall strip

Yes it really would be better if the Golden Triangle were razed and rebuilt to look like Rideau, as described in the thread on Royale & Muze.

Well, I was referring to the other sections in blue, not uniquely the golden triangle. But I still can't believe how the neighbourhoods in purple have also been protected from the basic laws of the market. In any free market, these areas would be filled with a variety of housing options, but not there. Although already getting all the investments of public infrastructure, the city politicians have so far protected the residents for having to pay their "fair share" in terms of costs (taxes) and development (increased housing)ed the residents for having to pay their "fair share" in terms of costs (taxes) and development (increased housing)

Edit: Tank you urbottawa for his excellent picture
IMG_1317.jpeg

Last edited:
Not that it precludes further intensification, but all three areas in blue (Golden Triangle, Centretown, West Centretown/Chinatown) and then Sandy Hill in purple have a fair amount of multi-unit buildings throughout. So while the vertical density isn't there, it's not like they're all single family homes. I don't think we want to lose these urban neighbourhoods, and the way they've been intensifying so far is pretty good imo - focusing the higher rise buildings (condos on Bank and Catherine) on the arterial corridors, and smaller multi-unit buildings elsewhere.

For example, one of my favourite little developments from recent years is this building on Kent between McLeod and Gladstone. The way they blended it into the adjacent buildings while still providing 4 floors is great. Could it probably have been 6 floors? Yes, but maybe that is better served for Gladstone around the corner rather than Kent.

Screenshot 2024-06-07 084815.jpg

I like 90 George very much, and East Flats is a very cool 2000's industrial loft project. I don't mind that older blue tower. Everything else is just garbage as far as I'm concerned. We'll have to see how Moxy and Registry turn out.
As per pgagnon on the Moxy thread, even if it turns out badly, at least the step down design gives some variety to the Eastern Block. 🤷‍♂️

East Market is quite good. I think we were all very happy with it when it was proposed and built at the time.

Andaz addition looks better than the original tower, but we can't trust Claridge too much.

I'm quite confident Registry will turn out well.

Well, I was referring to the other sections in blue, not uniquely the golden triangle. But I still can't believe how the neighbourhoods in purple have also been protected from the basic laws of the market. In any free market, these areas would be filled with a variety of housing options, but not there. Although already getting all the investments of public infrastructure, the city politicians have so far protectWell, I was referring to the other sections in blue, not uniquely the golden triangle. But I still can't believe how the neighbourhoods in purple have also been protected from the basic laws of the market. In any free market, these areas would be filled with a variety of housing options, but not there. Although already getting all the investments of public infrastructure, the city politicians have so far protected the residents for having to pay their "fair share" in terms of costs (taxes) and development (increased housing)ed the residents for having to pay their "fair share" in terms of costs (taxes) and development (increased housing)

Edit: Tank you urbottawa for his excellent picture
View attachment 570474

I'd say every city is like that. In Toronto, you see a lot of density around each subway station (mostly Young-University), but in between, early 20th century neighbourhoods are preserved. Not much has redeveloped along the Bloor Line, but it's starting. Montreal has very little modern development outside the Downtown, but granted it's already quite dense. Same with Vancouver outside the Downtown Peninsula and False Creek.

We don't want to preserve a city in amber, but we also don't want the entire city to look like, well Rideau as mentioned, or the Westboro canyon.

It also got the name Sandy Hill for a reason. One that isn't exactly conducive to building tall condos.

IMO Centretown is a bit much in it's protection. I would have preferred the city went 4 stories everywhere and 6 stories on minor collectors or corner lots. We are far too restrictive in building heights, even our new big swing official plan only allows 3.

Everyone of those areas, other than the Golden Triangle and the triangle nearest Line 2, is poorly served by transit. The one near Line is getting significant density with Gladstone Village and a few small projects along Preston and Somerset.

I'd say every city is like that. In Toronto, you see a lot of density around each subway station (mostly Young-University), but in between, early 20th century neighbourhoods are preserved. Not much has redeveloped along the Bloor Line, but it's starting. Montreal has very little modern development outside the Downtown, but granted it's already quite dense. Same with Vancouver outside the Downtown Peninsula and False Creek.

We don't want to preserve a city in amber, but we also don't want the entire city to look like, well Rideau as mentioned, or the Westboro canyon.
Well just because other cities are as bad does not mean we should excuse politicians in Ottawa. I'm not clamouring for 20-story buildings everywhere, but I am pointing out that there is a lack of a sprinkle of towers, 10-story, 6-story, 4-story, and du/tri/multiplexes because everything is blocked, especially in the walkable areas of the city.

Well just because other cities are as bad does not mean we should excuse politicians in Ottawa. I'm not clamouring for 20-story buildings everywhere, but I am pointing out that there is a lack of a sprinkle of towers, 10-story, 6-story, 4-story, and du/tri/multiplexes because everything is blocked, especially in the walkable areas of the city.
Not saying it's good or bad. You seem to suggest it was exclusively an Ottawa problem, but I'm pointing out that it's the same across the Country. If anything, Ottawa has been more flexible in allowing conversion of sfh to multiple units, and the construction of new multi unit buildings in sfh areas. The City up zoned much of the sfh areas within the Greenbelt in 2020, before the pressure from the Feds and Province that have now resulted in universal rezoning of R1 zones.

Back