News   Feb 05, 2024
 650     0 
News   Jan 27, 2020
 1.7K     0 
News   Nov 14, 2019
 1.9K     0 

265 Catherine St (Former Greyhound terminal) | 109.88/116.65/126.7m | 32/34/36s | Brigil | BDP Quadrangle

If remediation is indeed complete, they just need project and site plan approval from the City before we see shovels in the ground. I think it's relatively plausible to see excavation start by the Fall if the City moves quickly enough.

New documents have been uploaded to the devApp. Mostly looks the same, with the exception of A BUS LANE ON CATHERINE! Let's hope that this means the city is ready to approve.

What would be the benefits of a bus lane on Catherine, isn't there only 1 bus route using Catherine today? Its plagued on one side by the 417 and the rest is a lot of low-density commercial buildings... Yet we can't get transit or bus lanes on Carling or Baseline...

What would be the benefits of a bus lane on Catherine, isn't there only 1 bus route using Catherine today? Its plagued on one side by the 417 and the rest is a lot of low-density commercial buildings... Yet we can't get transit or bus lanes on Carling or Baseline...
The 85 is being rerouted along the route of the 55 to Lees, so these will go hand in hand with Carling bus lanes. Catherine can back up pretty badly at rush hour (I suspect mostly due to the insane programming on the Bronson/Catherine light), so a bus lane will help greatly. Might as well get the developer to pay for it while they're in there.

This project is just a taste of what is coming for the rest of this strip of dumpy buildings. There are a lot of opportunities for small scale midrises and land assemblage, not to mention SoBa and the 384 Arlington proposal.

I'm actually super amped to see this one go up. It's definitely one of my favourite projects at the moment, plus we have a good shot at actually seeing this one go up fairly soon!

I just realized that I was out of the loop on this proposal. They dropped the heights? That's so disheartening.. it was going to rival the Icon with what they were going for. I still like this project and it's a big impact for the area, but it kinda sucks for me.

Last edited:
I just realized that I was out of the loop on this proposal. They dropped the heights? That's so disheartening.. it was going to rival the Icon with what they were going for. I still like this project and it's a big impact for the area, but it kinda sucks for me.
I agree that it's a disappointment on the height reduction. A 40 would have been great and that location should actually have had a higher floor count than that. I much preferred the original proposal.

I agree that it's a disappointment on the height reduction. A 40 would have been great and that location should actually have had a higher floor count than that. I much preferred the original proposal.
Yeah, I know we got the third tower increased, but losing that height on the tallest one is a big drop for me. The project was perfect as is. I just hope this finally gets approval and no more changes are coming.

I'm not too disappointed with the new heights. Although we're always clamoring for more height variation, I found that the third tower looked out of place in the first version. Now it's more balanced while keeping some of that variation. 36 and 34 floors will still be the tallest buildings in Centretown. They will still be setting a new precedent.

That said, I am disappointed we continue to hear people put so much focus on height. What's the difference between 27 and 36 from ground level, really? We need to get passed this. That said, I'm not feeling the same intense NIMBY energy as usual, so that's somewhat positive.

Pretty much anyone under the age of 40 is acutely aware of how batshit housing prices are right now.

Although NIMBYs have always skewed older, the difference now is many of them are hearing from their kids that it is just way too expensive.

Pretty much anyone under the age of 40 is acutely aware of how batshit housing prices are right now.

Although NIMBYs have always skewed older, the difference now is many of them are hearing from their kids that it is just way too expensive.
I told my parents that unless housing costs get reasonable in Ottawa, don't expect me to move back

Where do you intend to move to? I find many smaller cities around Ontario (like Belleville, Kingston, etc) are quite expensive and comparable to Ottawa in terms of prices.
I moved to Québec. Although grocery prices, gas, and transport are more expensive, at least I was able to afford to buy

Back